Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Planning my move

So I have a bit of a problem moving into the my great grandmother's awesome house that I told you about last week....I have no idea what to do with the living room.  I've almost always had roommates with living room furniture, so I don't really have a style of my own, or know what fits the house.

A few months ago, the current tenant was out of town, and I went with my grandmother to walk around the property.  While we were there, the tenant's son-in-law stopped by and gave us a tour of the house. I hadn't been in the house since the 2001 renovation was complete, so I was thrilled to get inside.  It was nice of him to show us around, & nice to see exactly what needs painting or updating, and how much stuff the house can hold - and it was full.  As in, couldn't see the chair-rail in the living room, boarder-line hoarder, full.  That was more than a little overwhelming. 

My solution...decorate for Christmas.  Rather than stressing about putting together my perfect living room when I first move in, I'm going to decorate for Christmas and save the rest for after the first of the year.  Kinda of a cop out, but since I don't really know exactly how much space I'm working with, that's the plan. :)

My first project to get ready for my move are Christmas Tree Ornaments.  I'm going to keep things rustic and simple for my tree, and do handmade (ie cheap/budget friendly) ornaments.  These are some of the ideas I am going to try and get made before I move:

Twine wrapped around a ball
Newspaper strips and glitter modge-podge
'Glass Globs' hot glued to a plain ornament
Ivory with burlap & glass diamonds

It's a simple color palate: black, ivory, clear, and brown.  Add some white lights, and maybe some burlap garland, and regardless of what the rest of the room looks like, at least my tree will be pretty!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sooooo, the spammers have finally discovered my blog. I'm not sure if that means I've 'made it', but it does mean that I have turned on comment moderation for my older posts. Don't worry though, I get the notifications quickly, and promise to read and publish anything that doesn't include random comments or suspicious links.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...