Friday, April 6, 2012

Seed update #1

I posted a picture of some of my seeds on twitter this week and got the response: "Awwww...they are so cute at that age!" And gosh darn it they are. 

My growing system is the opposite of high tech this year. I have used egg cartons, strawberry containers, and toilet paper rolls & plastic wrap to start my seeds....and believe it or not its worked. They might be doing better if they were under grow lights, or on mats, but I'm not in any hurry, and they are doing just fine.

I started with Chives, Cilantro, Basil, Lavender, Alysumm, Yellow & Pink Brandywine Tomatoes, and a wild flower mix. Then I was temped by Love Lies Bleeding, more Lavender, & Four O'Clocks.


Everything is doing well, and here are a few pictures taken this week:
 
  My fancy setup & A closeup of the cilantro.

 Left: Baby Basil, Right: Baby Lavender

Left: 1/2 of my Baby Heirloom Tomatoes, Right: Baby Love-Lies-Bleeding

The tomatoes are almost to the point where I can put them in larger pots, and by pots I mean soup cans with holes drilled in the bottom.  I'm bringing thrifty back.

4 comments:

  1. I love growing things! Here, there, everywhere!
    Have a wonderful day!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lea! Hope you have a wonderful day as well :)

      Delete
  2. I admire your dedication. I have been direct seeding everything this year - no room inside, no money for potting soil, and I'm just too darn lazy to set it all up. So far, I have a couple of baby sunflowers poking up, some teeenytiny lettuce plants, a row of beautiful turnip green babies, and 2 rows of peas that are ridiculously happy.

    I love your flower selections. Be careful with the cilantro, though. Late in the season it gets super stinky. My husband made me promise to never plant it anywhere he might accidentally smell it again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dava, I'm almost to the point of direct sowing a few things, but I have to prep the beds first. They have been neglected for quite a while, and are full of rocks, need edging, etc. I have the same problems you do: no money for top soil, and too lazy to do the work. I am going to try and recruit some help this weekend though.

      I'm jealous of your peas & sunflowers, I don't think I have room for them this year.

      Delete

Sooooo, the spammers have finally discovered my blog. I'm not sure if that means I've 'made it', but it does mean that I have turned on comment moderation for my older posts. Don't worry though, I get the notifications quickly, and promise to read and publish anything that doesn't include random comments or suspicious links.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...