Friday, November 15, 2013

(Re)Discover Chattanooga - Community Pie's new NY Style Pizza

Mmmmm, Community Pie.  As I've said before, I love Community Pie.  I had never been exposed to Neopoliton pizza before they opened, but my Italian taste buds very much approve of everything I have eaten in my multiple trips to Community Pie.  The warm gooey crust is right up my alley, and it doesn't bother me at all that it is meant to be eaten with a knife and a fork.  The flavor combinations on the menu always have me fighting to make a decision.  Homemade gelato from Milk & Honey is the icing on the top of what is always a good meal.


But there is more to pizza than just Neapolitan style pizza.  There is New York Style Pizza, Chicago Deep Dish, etc etc.  So I was excited earlier this month when I found out that Community Pie was adding New York Style pizza to the menu.  I was even more excited when they sent me a gift certificate thanking me for my previous blog post.  So a trip to Community Pie was in order....twist my arm.

We went last Saturday night to try it out.  There was about a 30 minute wait at 6:30, but we quickly found seats at the bar, and decided to eat there.  The bar staff was friendly, and it looked like our awesome waiter from our first trip to Community Pie is now a manager.  He is on top of things and super friendly, and we were happy to see that he is still around.

The New York style pizza is available by the slice, and also in 14" and 19" pies.  We wanted to try something that sounded cool, and also something basic that would show off the new crust, so we ordered two 14" pizzas: the Drunk Pig ("vodka sauce, Community Pie ricotta, homemade fennel sausage, fresh mozzarella, parmasean cheese, and crushed red pepper"), and the Demarco ("Fresh & Shredded mozzarella, hand torn basil, extra virgin olive oil, and pecorino romano").

Never try and edit a picture on an iphone.



 
The verdict???  Jon Stewart would approve.  (Jon Stewart has strong feelings on pizza crusts.)

The crust: In true New York Style fashion, both crusts were cooked well, easy to pick up, fold, and bite into.  I am not an expert on New York Style crusts, but I liked the crust on both pizzas.  There is no mistaking the New Your crust for the Neopoliton, so I call this a crust win.

The toppings:  The Drunk Pig was good, but the Demarco was amazing.  I'm a cheese pizza fan to begin with, and the Demarco is a grown up version of what what comes to mind when I think of New York Style cheese pizza.  It's got enough fresh mozzarella to be a little greasy, but the mix of hard cheeses means it's not swimming in grease.  You can't go wrong with torn basil and extra virgin olive oil, and the Demarco was the pizza that we attacked...it was that good.  The sausage on the Drunk Pig was a little strong for my taste, but the vodka sauce, ricotta, and other cheeses were all on point.

Of course, we couldn't leave Community Pie without gelato...even in November.  You can try up to three flavors per serving, but I didn't look farther than two:  Mint Chocolate and Milk & Honey.


Thanks for the gift certificate Community Pie, I enjoyed it!   My favorite crust is still the Neapolitan style, but don't be surprised if you see me come in for a slice of New York style cheese pizza sometime soon.  :)

Community Pie
850 Market Street,
Chattanooga TN 37405
423.486.1743

Hours: Sunday-Thursday 11am-10pm
Friday and Saturday 11am-11pm
Website | Facebook | @CommunityPie 
New Menu

Community Pie on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. I don't know one kind of pizza from another - I like all of them.
    If a pizza place has a buffet, I make a pig of myself!
    There is a new (to us) Italian Food Place in Florence Alabama that we want to try soon.
    Have a great week-end!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK Not only do I want to go to this place now but I am also hungry :) I usually don't eat crust

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, good to know. I'll add this to the list of places we'll have to go eat if.when you make it to Chattanooga!

      Delete

Sooooo, the spammers have finally discovered my blog. I'm not sure if that means I've 'made it', but it does mean that I have turned on comment moderation for my older posts. Don't worry though, I get the notifications quickly, and promise to read and publish anything that doesn't include random comments or suspicious links.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...