Wednesday, April 24, 2013

wildflower wednesday

Man I've been all about the garden posts lately haven't I?  It's spring, so I guess it's to be expected, and I'm sure there will be more to come soon, as I'm really trying to get some work done around my house.

Here are a few of the wildflowers that have sprung up around my house as of today.  I'm working towards a moss yard, and since I don't mow my grass, almost everything growing in my yard is a wildflower.

What I have most of right now are what my grandmother calls 'Blue-Its'.  They're these tiny pale purple flowers that carpet my yard.  They've spread since last year, and I love it.


I also have these really pretty blooming clover.


The daisies are just starting to shoot up and bloom today.


And my first woodland poppy decided to bloom.


The wild blackberries are just starting to bloom.


I'm not sure if they count as a wildflower or not, but the rock irises are blooming.


The best wildflowers blooming right now are the wild azaleas.  My mom and I did a lot of work this weekend clearing undbrush in my front woods, and we found quite a few azaleas.  I hope they'll benefit from the extra breathing room, and I love that I can actually see them now!


If you'd like to see more of the wildflowers blooming today you can click here.

8 comments:

  1. Oh how I envy you - native wild Azaleas!
    So wonderful!
    Happy wildflower Wednesday!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lea! The wild azaleas have been around a long time, some of them are taller than I am :)

      Happy Gardening!!

      Delete
  2. I connected with you through Clay and Limestone. I'm also in Tennessee, but West (Memphis). Love the native azaleas; I only have one and would like more. The wildflower you identified as a daisy is actually fleabane (in the Aster family) which is a noxious weed in gardens around here. Happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beth! It's great to meet another Tennessee Gardner :) Thanks for identifying the fleabane, I think most people here would call it a weed too, but as I'm fond of saying, I have the pretties weeds!

      Delete
  3. Hello there, Emily :-) I love that clover! I’ve got a different variety growing in seed trays in my tiny greenhouse. Your woodland poppy looks like the common Welsh one over here in the UK. Here in Scotland we get it too. I bet these blackberry blooms will attract lots of insects and probably bees too. I love that you have native azaleas – enjoy :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shirley! I'm excited about the poppy, it's a plant that was given to me last year, and I've never grown it before.

      Happy Gardening!!

      Delete
  4. Your wild azaleas are gorgeous. Your rock iris look like Dwarf Crested Iris, a wonderful native wildflower.

    ReplyDelete

Sooooo, the spammers have finally discovered my blog. I'm not sure if that means I've 'made it', but it does mean that I have turned on comment moderation for my older posts. Don't worry though, I get the notifications quickly, and promise to read and publish anything that doesn't include random comments or suspicious links.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...