Thursday, April 25, 2013

(Re)Discover Chattanooga - National Cornbread Festival

The National Cornbread Festival is this weekend! 

I don't think I'm going to make it this year, but if you've never been, I highly encourage you to go.  It's what I would call "good, clean, fun."  There are craft vendors, food vendors, musicians, rides, festival food vendors, and LOTS of cornbread. 

There are some free cornbread samples throughout the festival, but you have to stop at Cornbread Alley.  It's just $4, and you get to sample 10 different cornbreads.  I think the variety of the cornbread is what makes it fun.  They have everything from sweet and fruity, to savory and spicy. And it's all good.

If you do get to go this year, read about my first trip to the Cornbread Festival.

My Tips for the National Cornbread Festival:

  • Check the weather.  Last year sunscreen was a really good call, and this year an umbrella might be a good idea. (It never rains when you bring an umbrella, so I'd take one for that reason alone.)  The festival is almost entirely outside, so dress appropriately.
  • Take cash.  This is not the kind of place where the vendors will all be taking credit cards on their cell phones and iPads.
  • Wear comfortable shoes.  There are some shuttles from the parking areas, but the lots are close enough that we just walked last year.  You'll be doing a decent amout of walking in the festival too, so be comfortable.
  • Buy something from a vendor.  Bonus points if it's something you've never seen or tried before.  One of my favorite vendors from last year was the flavored honey jelly.  The raspberry honey jelly is really good, and I never even knew it existed.
  • Don't be in a hurry.  Part of the charm of South Pittsburg is the slow pace.  Enjoy it.
  • The drive isn't as bad as you think.  I promise.

Here is some more information on this year's festival.  And a link to some of the winning recipes from previous years.

National Cornbread Festival
When: April 27th-28th 2013
Where: Downtown South Pittsburg, TN
website | recipes

1 comment:

  1. Could not make it this year, but it really sounds like a fun thing to go to!
    Have a blessed day!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete

Sooooo, the spammers have finally discovered my blog. I'm not sure if that means I've 'made it', but it does mean that I have turned on comment moderation for my older posts. Don't worry though, I get the notifications quickly, and promise to read and publish anything that doesn't include random comments or suspicious links.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...