Friday, August 26, 2011

(Re)Discover Chattanooga - Southern Brewers Festival


I have to start this post off with a little information about myself & my background. My friends are beer snobs. I worked in a bar (as an artist, and briefly as a bartender) for 5 years. I really like/value taste and quality. I feel like I know my beer. But I don't drink it - I'm allergic to hops. Weird huh. So the next question is why are you writing about the Southern Brewers Festival? The answer: because it's awesome.

Why is it so awesome? First off its an outdoor music and brew fest on the Tennessee River, a pretty solid foundation & venue to start off with. You can't go wrong with that.

Second is quality. The music is solid, featuring The New Familiars, George Porter Jr. , Railroad Earth & Los Lobos to name a few. (If you've played at Jazzfest or Music on the Mountain Top, you're good in my book.) The beer is great and there is a really decent selection of well known & smaller micro brews. Everything from local breweries like Big River, Chattanooga Brewing Co & Barley Mob, to "Big Brands" like Abita, Sweetwater, Sierra Nevada, New Belgium, & Woodchuck. In the "In Between" category you have A1A Ale Works out of St. Augustine, Green Mountain Beverage out of Middleberry VT, Highland Brewing out of Ashville, and the list goes on. According to an article on 'Nooga.com they are bringing in a total of 430 kegs for this weekend, including a past favorite Orange Blossom Ale, a rare Roggenbier, and Big River Belgian-style beer that is being brewed just for the festival.

Third is cost. Tickets are $20 at the gate (cash or credit) and you get 1 beer token & a commemorative Beer Mug. Beer tokens are $3 each (cash only). These are great prices. The ticket price is in-line with the quality of music, and I feel like $3 for a festival beer is cheaper than a Bud Light at Riverbend. Prices are usually so inflated at these things, it makes me happy to see prices lined up in a resonable manner.

So that's why I'm excited about going, here's all the general festival info from their website:

When: Saturday, 8/27/11 from 2pm - midnight
Where: Ross's Landing
How Much: $20 at the gate (cash/credit) $3 beer tokens (cash)
$75 VIP pass 12 & under Free
Proceeds to: Chattanooga Kids on The Block

website - Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sooooo, the spammers have finally discovered my blog. I'm not sure if that means I've 'made it', but it does mean that I have turned on comment moderation for my older posts. Don't worry though, I get the notifications quickly, and promise to read and publish anything that doesn't include random comments or suspicious links.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...