Monday, January 9, 2012

(Re)Discover Chattanooga - Sushi Nabe

I'm publishing this post today in honor of the 2012 BCS National Championship game tonight. You'll understand why by the end of the post.

Sushi Nabe is known for having the best sushi in Chattanooga. But growing up here, sushi just wasn't on my radar. Luckily living in South Carolina for 10 years (not a landlocked state) exposed me to a lot of fresh fish, and also sushi.

I was both excited and nervous to try Sushi Nabe.  They've been making sushi in Chattanooga since 1990, so that's exciting.  Any restaurant that has been in business that long has food worth coming back to.  What made me nervous is that Tennessee is a landlocked state, and fresh ingredients are key when it comes to sushi, and like it or not, the logistics are just harder here.

I have been to Sushi Nabe twice since I moved to Chattanooga.  The first time was this summer, and I ordered two different shrimp rolls. One was $4-$5, and the other was $8-$9.  The sad thing is that at the end of the meal, I couldn't tell you which roll was which, and neither roll was great.  Not going to lie, I expect to be able to taste the difference when one roll is twice as expensive as the other.  I was not impressed.

I'm so glad I went back to try the sushi again.

I went back to Sushi Nabe this fall, and they had a few specialty, football themed rolls.  I thought this was a fun idea, and tried the Roll Tide Roll ($10-$11).  It was AWESOME.


Not only does it look pretty - I don't even like wasabi, but that football is pretty cute - it tasted great.  I love the extra crunchy stuff and the sauce that is the goal post was exactly the perfect compliment to the roll. Don't get me wrong, the roll was great on it's own, but the sauce really took it to another level of tasty.

I will be cheering for LSU tonight in the National Championship game, but when my friend Phats asked me to pick the winner (and a few bowl games)...well, all I have to say is "Roll Tide, Roll"

Sushi Nabe:
110 River Street Chattanooga, TN 37405-4006
(423) 634-0171 | website: http://www.sushinabechattanooga.com/
Hours:
  • Monday: CLOSED
  • Tuesday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, 5:00pm - 9:30pm
  • Wednesday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, 5:00pm - 9:30pm
  • Thursday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, 5:00pm - 9:30pm
  • Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm, 5:00pm - 10:00pm
  • Saturday: 12:00pm - 10:00pm
  • Sunday: 12:00pm - 9:00pm

Sushi Nabe of Kyoto on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

  1. You're a lot braver than me!! haha I have never had sushi not sure I ever could.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started with a Fried Green Tomato roll in Clemson. Rice, fried green tomato, red bell pepper, cream cheese and avocado. I still stick to mainly cooked fish in my sushi, so I'm not a true connoisseur.

    If you try sushi, choose a fish that you know you like, and splurge for one of the specialty rolls that has cream cheese/avacado, a good sauce or mayo. I love the crunch from a topping or tempura (fried) fish or veggies. You never know, you might like it!

    ReplyDelete

Sooooo, the spammers have finally discovered my blog. I'm not sure if that means I've 'made it', but it does mean that I have turned on comment moderation for my older posts. Don't worry though, I get the notifications quickly, and promise to read and publish anything that doesn't include random comments or suspicious links.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...