Thursday, April 9, 2015

tulips

So here is my tulip story.  They are some of my favorite cut flowers.  I planted what I hoped to become gorgeous yellow tulips along my driveway, but after two seasons, they never bloomed.  They would send up sad little leaves, but never flowers.  Tulip fail.  I did some reading and saw they like full sun, so I dug up the bulbs and moved them to a sunnier location.  I also decided to try my luck with new bulbs, and on an impulse buy, I picked up 30 purple and 30 orange bulbs last fall.  With the help of a 5 year old, I planted some in the front yard, and some along my back fence with the roses.



They're blooming!



The new bulbs at least.  The older bulbs did the same, come up but not bloom routine.  Unless someone else has words of wisdom for me, they'll get one year of fertilizer in the their new home, and if they don't bloom next year, they'll be replaced. 


One interesting note about the orange tulips, they are yellow when they come up, and then turn bright orange.  They also open up during the day, and close up at night.  Who knew! 

2 comments:

  1. They are beautiful!
    I especially like the purple and yellow together. A lovely fence, too!
    There is a meme called 'Good Fences' that you could link this post to. I think the host blog's name is The Run-Around Ranch Report
    The onions I planted two weeks ago are coming up, and I have planted 12 or 15 more (I forgot to count them).
    Have a wonderful week-end!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I may plant some onions :) We'll see how it goes!

      Happy Spring!!

      Delete

Sooooo, the spammers have finally discovered my blog. I'm not sure if that means I've 'made it', but it does mean that I have turned on comment moderation for my older posts. Don't worry though, I get the notifications quickly, and promise to read and publish anything that doesn't include random comments or suspicious links.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...