Thursday, May 16, 2013

(Re)Discover Chattanooga - Flying Squirrel Bar

Today marks one week since Flying Squirrel Bar opened their doors in Chattanooga's Southside neighborhood.  I have a feeling it's been quite a week for them.  I couldn't resist a bar named Flying Squirrel, so last Saturday I went with friends to check it out.  We went for after dinner drinks, and we had a blast.

When we walked up to the Flying Squirrel, the first thing we noticed was all the people milling about.  People were coming in from all directions, congregating at The Flying Squirrel.  All of the bike racks were full, as were the seats on the outside section of the bar.  When I was growing up, this was one of the areas of town where I was told "lock your doors."  The atmosphere has changed though, and it really felt like a neighborhood.

We took a quick tour of the inside, and there is no other word to describe it other than beautiful...ok maybe classy.  It's full of locally hand crafted wood (much of it reclaimed or scrap), and large, modern, glass windows.  There are LED pendent lights, and an array of seating options.  There is an upstairs lounge with couches and chairs, and the main section downstairs has semi private booths, as well as floating bistro height bars for those who like to stand and mingle.  Outside, there are garage style doors that open up to reveal that the bar is actually shaped like U, as well as tables, and a retaining wall that doubles as bench seating.  Even the bathrooms are cool, with neat sinks and european style hand dryers.


Our waiter confirmed that the opening weekend had, as we suspected, been nuts, and that the after dinner crowd was actually a lull for them.  Our table ordered a mix of craft beers and mixed drinks, and I have to say that I really enjoyed my Watermelon Old Fashioned made with Chattanooga Whiskey.  I'll also say that I am not a gin drinker, but the Rare Form (a gin martini with rosemary syrup) was really good.


As the night went on, we saw the crowd shift to a younger dynamic.  Being somewhere between 'young professional' and 'older than I actually feel', I liked the wide range of people who were checking out this new neighborhood bar.  Everyone seemed laid back, even if you could tell they were ready for a night out.  I can see Flying Squirrel as a place I would be comfortable just about any time of day, and I wish there were something like it on my street!

The only thing I can't praise Flying Squirrel for is the food, and that's only because I haven't tried it...yet.  (I'll let you know when I do.  Word on the street is that the garlic fries are on point.)  The staff was knowledgeable and attentive, and the drink menu was comprehensive without being so ambitious that it couldn't be executed well.  The atmosphere is great, and it didn't feel like a place that had only been open a few days.  Everything is finished and in place, and no one was rushing around trying to get used to the setup.  The guys from the Crash Pad do a good job, and The Flying Squirrel is no exception.  I definitely encourage you to check it out the next time you're on the Southside!

Flying Squirrel Bar
55 Johnson Street
Chattanooga, Tennessee 37408
Tues-Sat: 5pm-3am
Sun: 10:30am-2pm  5pm-1am (limited menu)
Closed Monday
Website | facebook | @squirrelbar | Instagram
Flying Squirrel on Urbanspoon

8 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed it and that's a super beautiful picture of you too! ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *blushing* Thanks, I don't usually post pictures of myself, but Ani took this, and I had only taken the one other picture. I love all of the wood in the bar.

      Delete
  2. Hi Emily,
    Cities do have such interesting places!
    There must be a story behind the name Flying Squirrel.
    It is funny you told me to stay out of the rain last week-end. Strawberry Plains Audubon Center was having their Native Plant Sale. It was about an hour's drive from the house - In The Rain! The plant sale was outside! In the rain! Well I didn't drive that far to go home empty-handed. I zipped up my jacket, pulled the hood over my head, and went shopping - In the rain! I bought three Swamp Milkweeds - great plants to attract butterflies - at $5.00 each. Good thing it was raining - I would have stayed longer and spent too much money! But why, oh why did I not wear my oldest shoes for walking through the mud? BTW, the lady that was taking the money was under a tent - to keep the cash dry, I suppose.
    Hope you are having a great week!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when you can find a good deal! I was looking at basil the other day and it was $3 a plant. I think I'll stick with seeds, even if I'm starting them late!!

      Delete
    2. Speaking of bargains - I was at Lowe's (building supply and garden center) in Tupelo today, and they had moved some of their flowers over to a bargain shelf marked 50% off. I found a beautiful hanging basket of pink petunias for only $5.00. They had a lot of Marigolds and other flowers at half-off. Some look a bit raggedy, but with a little TLC they should be fine. If there is a Lowe's near you, you might want to check to see if they have a price-reduced shelf, too.
      Happy Gardening!
      Lea
      Lea's Menagerie

      Delete
  3. That is definitely a great name! I love the reclaimed wood walls, too - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Indie! I love the name too :)

      Delete

Sooooo, the spammers have finally discovered my blog. I'm not sure if that means I've 'made it', but it does mean that I have turned on comment moderation for my older posts. Don't worry though, I get the notifications quickly, and promise to read and publish anything that doesn't include random comments or suspicious links.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...