Monday, July 9, 2012

tomato sandwich season!!

One of the best parts of summer for me right now is tomato season.  I've discovered heirloom tomatoes over the past few summers, and I look forward to the time of year that they're in season.  Never in a million years would I have thought I would eat a tomato sandwich, much less crave them, but now I do.

As part of the Garden to Table Challenge at the Greenish Thumb, here is my go to summer sandwich.  I eat it for lunch, dinner, or whenever I have a few good heirloom tomatoes around.  My favorite heirloom last year was a Yellow Brandywine, they're hard to find, but they're worth it when you get one. Yesterday I picked up some Glaciers and some Cherokee Purples at the Chattanooga Farmers Market to tide me over until mine start to come in...I'm thinking two more weeks : )

Ingredients:
  • your favorite baguette or bread
  • olive oil
  • fresh mozzarella
  • Sliced tomatoes
  • salt & pepper, to taste
  • fresh basil
 Instructions:
I toast my bread first with a little olive oil, then add mozzarella, tomato, salt & pepper, and basil.  I put this back in the broiler for just a few minutes to soften up the tomatoes & melt the cheese.  If I'm feeling fancy I drizzle some balsamic vinegar on top, but it's good just the way it is.

Simple, easy, and tasty.  Pretty much sums up how I like to cook.

1 comment:

Sooooo, the spammers have finally discovered my blog. I'm not sure if that means I've 'made it', but it does mean that I have turned on comment moderation for my older posts. Don't worry though, I get the notifications quickly, and promise to read and publish anything that doesn't include random comments or suspicious links.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...