Tuesday, July 24, 2012

(Re)Discover Chattanooga - LifeKraze

There are so many things that make me proud to be from Chattanooga.  Chattanooga is one of those cities where I feel like people take pride in what they do, and people make things happen.  Big things (think Fiber Internet, tourism, recycling) and small things (think farmers markets).  Lots of things are happening in Chattanooga, and one of my favorite things is LifeKraze.


LifeKraze is a social network (with both Chattanooga and Clemson connections) comprised of interesting people motivating each other to "Life Life Like It Counts" via a kick ass reward system.

OK, that was a long sentence with a lot of things to love in it, so let me break it down:
  • Social Network - LifeKraze is probably my favorite social network, and the only one where there is no one that I knew first "In Real Life."  I love social platforms, and LifeKraze does a great job of making introductions via Everyone and Rookie feeds in addition to your personal feed.  The network is also very active, people notice when you're not around (in a good way, not a creepy way).  I've met more inspiring people via LifeKraze than any other network, and they only have around 25,000 members.
  • Chattanooga Connection - I love all things Chattanooga, especially Chattanooga small business.  LifeKraze has their offices right here, and you can see them around town via their sidewalk #chaLK campaigns, and their involvement in all sorts of Chattanooga activities.
  • Clemson Connection - This is what first sealed the deal for me.  Before I knew how positive the community was, or if I knew if my lifestyle was 'active enough' to be included at the cool kids table, I saw that one of the co-founders, Michael Brooks, Jr went to Clemson.  We were in Clemson at the same time, and he played soccer for the university.  Clemson is a small town, and once we started talking, we realized that we hung both hung out at Backstreets - the bar still very near and dear to my heart.  He knew my stained glass, and I knew that I had to check out anything a Backstreets regular in Chattanooga was a part of.
  • Motivating Reward System - This is where LifeKraze is really brilliant, and sets themselves apart from other social networks.  They have monetized in such a way that you get free stuff, and they get paid, based on how active the members are in the community.  You get points when people reward your accomplishments (think status update) and when you reward other people's accomplishments.    This encourages growth in the community, while at the same time igniting competition, smart huh.  And the rewards are pretty sweet too.  So far I have been able to use my points to donate cash to a local classroom through DonorsChoose.org, and I've gotten some swag too - a LifeKraze Pedometer, and a rocking neon green sweatband.  
Ben Wagner modeling the LK sweatband
  • Accomplishments - LifeKraze is all about encouraging an active lifestyle, but it's not just about all things outdoors. I follow some ridiculous trail runners and Olympians (#InspireLK - a VERY cool program...more in a minute) but also a cellist and a painter.  What's great is that all fitness and activity levels are welcome, and surrounding yourselves with people living active lifestyles really does inspire you to do more of whatever it is you love to do.  And believe it or not, I've never once lied about an accomplishment.  But I have thought about LifeKraze when I wanted to sleep in on a Saturday morning. (Yes I slept in, but not as late as I used to.)


Today is a big day for LifeKraze. Today, LifeKraze formally launched Mission: Inspire (#InspireLK).  12 Olympians from a variety of sports have joined LifeKraze, and are sharing their lives.  I'm a HUGE fan of the Olympics, and it really is cool to support these guys as they train, pack, and travel to London to compete in the 2012 Olympics.  I have gotten to interact with a few of these guys, and in a word it really is Inspiring.  I can't wait to cheer them on when the Olympic Games begin.



Today LifeKraze also launched it's iPhone App, and was featured with this article on TechCrunch.  The app still has a few bugs, but I really like the interface.  The layout is similiar to the new Facebook app, with the main menu sliding out on the left.  As far as I can tell, the app has the full functionality of the website in its first release, plus badges to go with a new stats feature.  This is awesome and makes complete sense.  The concept behind LifeKraze is living life to its fullest, and mobile integration fits with this mission.  LifeKraze really belongs with me and not on my computer.  I'm personally looking forward to being able to upload photos from my phone.  My feed is only going to get more inspiring with everyone's pictures.

I hope you check out LifeKraze, I really enjoy my time on that corner of the Interwebs. (If you're into social networks, free stuff, and/or active living, you won't be disappointed.)   I also wanted to give a shout out to Jonathan at LifeKraze. He was Johnny-On-The-Spot today sending me images to use in this post.  He was much quicker getting them to me, than I was doing layout.

Find ME on LifeKraze

2 comments:

  1. This is definitely a cool thing for sure. Everytime I think of Chattanooga I want to sing Pardon me boys is that the chattanooga choo choo haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, the Chattanooga Choo Choo still exists downtown. I should write about it sometime....Let me know if you try LifeKraze :)

      Delete

Sooooo, the spammers have finally discovered my blog. I'm not sure if that means I've 'made it', but it does mean that I have turned on comment moderation for my older posts. Don't worry though, I get the notifications quickly, and promise to read and publish anything that doesn't include random comments or suspicious links.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...