Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Tomatoes & Basil

I don't have much of a garden on my 4'x6' patio (have I mentioned it's tiny before?) but I do have tomatoes and basil for DAYS! Here's a list of what I've done with it all so far:

  1. Freeze dried basil - Whole basil leaves in ziplock bags in the freezer, when its frozen, you can crunch it up rather than cutting by hand. I use this stuff for seriously everything.
  2. Simple 15 minute sauce - olive oil, garlic, chopped tomato, basil & a little butter (for flavor). Its a light marinara, I love me some olive oil. You can add vodka & chopped onion to make a thicker, creamier vodka sauce
  3. Bowie Pasta w/sliced cherry tomato, basil, artichoke & Parmesan. Sauce cooks for 5 minutes tops, & the tomatoes hold their shape.
  4. Frozen pizza topped w fresh basil, sliced cherry tomato & garlic
  5. Tomato sandwiches on local baked bread
  6. Tomato mozzarella salad (sliced cherry tomato or dices full size)
  7. Pasta salad w/fresh tomatoes
  8. Guacamole w/fresh tomatoes
  9. Slow cooked pasta sauce w/onion, bell pepper, garlic, basil, red wine (pork chop) This you can cook until the pork chop falls off the bone.
Some things I want to try:
  1. Pesto
  2. Homemade tomato juice for Bloody Mary's
  3. Salsa
  4. Large Batch Pasta sauce. If I was really cool, I'd can it. But I'm not there yet.

This is what is still growing! I'm going to have Tomatoes for DAYS!!

Editor's Note: I forgot to include that this post falls in the category of GTTC (Garden To Table Challange) over at Greenish Thumb! Love this series :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sooooo, the spammers have finally discovered my blog. I'm not sure if that means I've 'made it', but it does mean that I have turned on comment moderation for my older posts. Don't worry though, I get the notifications quickly, and promise to read and publish anything that doesn't include random comments or suspicious links.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...