Friday, July 8, 2011

(Re)Discover Chattanooga - Brainerd Farmers Market

Tomorrow morning I'm going to make my first trip to the Brainerd Farmers Market! I'm a hippie at heart, and I'm glad it's 'trendy' in Chattanooga to be a locavore. It makes so much sense to shop local, especially for food. It's fresher, cheaper, and much better for the environment. That's winning on all sorts of levels. I signed up for the e-mail list that tells you what to expect at the market by farm/vendor.

Here's what I'm most excited for:

Lowe's Family Farm: fresh produce, tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, bell peppers, and other fresh veggies and homemade fried pies and jellies. I can't wait to see the squash and bell peppers. And probably a fried pie for breakfast.

Homestead Beef: http://www.buyhomesteadbeef.com A great selection of grass fed beef. I have no beef in my freezer. This is very rare, I hope to fix this.

Link 41:
http://linkfortyone.com/ Handmade artisanal sausages, bacon. Mmmm, Bacon
Dixie Soaps: www.dixiedoesalpines.com Goat milk soaps, lotions & lip balms. Felted soap fromage blanc & feta goat cheeses, and fresh eggs. Can't wait to bring home some feta.
Rising Fawn Nursery: Lots of nice herbs, they are getting nicer by the day. Also some new perennials in addition to the new ones I brought last week. I'm a nut for plants, we'll see if I can keep my hands in my pockets.
Niedlov's Breadworks:


http://niedlovs.com breads and pastries. I've seen some local restaurants that use this bread. Can't wait to check it out.

Pocket Farm
:

Heirloom tomatoes, sungold cherry tomatoes, hot and sweet peppers, fresh basil and cut flowers. Everybody talks about heirloom tomatoes. We'll see what all the fuss is about.

2 comments:

  1. sure sounds great! We have a full farmer's market with lots of variety, but no soaps and other goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was small but nice. Chattanooga has a larger Farmer's market downtown, but this one was close and had everything I needed. :)

    ReplyDelete

Sooooo, the spammers have finally discovered my blog. I'm not sure if that means I've 'made it', but it does mean that I have turned on comment moderation for my older posts. Don't worry though, I get the notifications quickly, and promise to read and publish anything that doesn't include random comments or suspicious links.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...