Wednesday, September 21, 2011

(Re)Discover Chattanooga - Church Music

I had some friends visit me in Chattanooga this summer, and in my driving them around town they made the comment "Man, there are a lot of churches here." I hadn't given it much thought, but I did a quick search of 2010 Census Data, and the Religion rating for Chattanooga is 194, or 1.94 times higher than the national average. This is even a little higher than the TN State Rating of 188.

When I was little, I didn't think about the fact that my ballet classes weren't offered on Wednesday nights. I knew that it was 'Church Night', and a lot of kids were busy. It didn't bother me when they added Jazz classes on Wednesday nights, because I got to take Jazz. I was too young to make the connection that there was an assumption that the kids wanting to take Jazz wouldn't be the kids going to church on Wednesday nights. Well, I was one of those kids, and nope, I wasn't in church. (side note: my family was always a religious family, but my dad drove race cars out of town on Saturday nights, so Sunday mornings were more about sleeping in and eating chocolate chip cookies than getting dressed up for church)

The other thing I didn't think much about as a kid is the fact that when Dave & Dex came on the local country radio station, US 101, at 5:00 on Wednesdays, they played 'Church Music." I think there were a couple of songs that they played, but my favorite was "Shake a Snake." Considering that Sand Mountain is not too far away, and famous for their snake handling churches, this song was more than mildly entertaining.

Since I've been back in Chattanooga I have not gone back to my country music roots, and I have no idea if US 101 still plays this song (Dave has since passed away). BUT, I was out playing pool last week, and someone said the phrase 'shake a snake.' I haven't thought about this song in 10 years, and we of course found the video on youtube - a digital transfer of the Pinkard & Bowen song on 45. This song is too good not to share.


Happy Church Day Everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sooooo, the spammers have finally discovered my blog. I'm not sure if that means I've 'made it', but it does mean that I have turned on comment moderation for my older posts. Don't worry though, I get the notifications quickly, and promise to read and publish anything that doesn't include random comments or suspicious links.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...