Monday, October 7, 2013

Garden Update

If you're reading this post, I just want to say thank you.  I have fallen back into my inconsistant nonexistant blogger habits, and if you've stuck with me through it, I really appreciate it.

So in the past month or so I haven't been out and about around Chattanooga much (I missed Southern Brewers Festival, the Tennessee Whiskey Festival, AND Wine Over Water), but a lot has been happening on the home front. Outside my house, inside my house, and all over the yard.  Here's a rundown of projects we've been working on, and I'll go into detail about each one in the coming weeks.
  1. My house is painted!  You may have noticed that my house itself has been absent from my garden pictures thus far.  That's because the paint was peeling and falling off the back of the house.  The house is now painted, and we are at the cleaning up after my painter stage of the project.  It looks SO much better.
  2. My living room has gotten an unexpected remodel.  What started with painting the back of my built in cabinets turned into new crown molding, work on my ceiling, and a whole lot of painting.
  3. I now have an area that shall henceforth be known as 'the woodland garden' 'the shade garden'.  We have turned one random azalea and a few volunteer plants in the woods into an area that has a some structure (the tall plants are now in the back) but is appropriately disheveled for my liking.
  4. My day lilies can breathe!  The only significant flower bed that existed when I moved into my great grand mother's house was a row of day lilies that might be older than I am.  While you think that might be pretty, (and they were) you have to remember that day lilies multiply, and these were way past over crowded.  Side note: if anyone wants day lilies, PLEASE let me know, I still have hundreds!  I'm not even kidding.
  5. We've also done some work in the gardens around the kitchen and the driveway.  Some of it has been general maintenance, and some of it has involved transplanting.
Believe it or not, you're looking at around 50 day lily plants. 
They were extremely overcrowded

It actually has been a lot of work, but the weather is nice, and it's a good time of year to be working outside.  I know it will pay dividends this spring, when I can show you pictures that will actually include my house!

5 comments:

  1. Hey there! You have been busy!
    Glad you are back to blogging.
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Lea! Have a wonderful day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello again!
    If you want to blog more often, you might consider joining a meme each week. One I really like is Sky Watch Friday. You can find it at http://skyley.blogspot.com
    Although we would all like to capture sunrises, sunsets, and rainbows, any photo of the sky will be okary. Are the trees changing colors there now? There's nothing prettier than yellow or red leaves against a blue sky. In town look for skies reflected in glass fronted buildings; in a park look for skies reflected in a pond or lake. Photos of historic places or interesting architecture with whatever sky showing in the background will work.
    Visit Sky Watch to see whatever skies and weather people are experiencing around the globe. Contributing to Sky Watch Friday will get you blogging at least once a week.
    Hope you try it!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet Lea, I love Garden Blogger's Bloom Day, but have missed it the past few months. Maybe I do need something a little more regular :) I love seeing your skywatch pictures, and it's nice to take a minute to appreciate the beauty that surrounds us very day. When I lived in Clemson, SC, we had the most amazing sunsets. I should stop to enjoy what Chattanooga offers too.

      Thanks for the encouragement & suggestion!!

      Delete
  4. looking forward to it! woodland garden - sounds fantastic. Those day lilies will be amazing now that they're divided. Your great grand would be so pleased that you're taking care of them.

    ReplyDelete

Sooooo, the spammers have finally discovered my blog. I'm not sure if that means I've 'made it', but it does mean that I have turned on comment moderation for my older posts. Don't worry though, I get the notifications quickly, and promise to read and publish anything that doesn't include random comments or suspicious links.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...