Monday, July 22, 2013

blackberry season

If you follow me on Instagram, you have seen pictures of my blackberries this year.


They were the subject of my only mildly creative post on Vine.


Blackberries are one of the surprises that showed up in my yard.  The previous tenants mowed them down, but I let them grow, and they came up in a line.  At some point, someone must have moved some plants out of the woods, Mother Nature is not known for her straight line planting.  I'm not sure if it was my great grandmother or not, but I'm grateful for whomever moved them.  Anyways, I love having fresh fruit around, even if I never sought out blackberries before.  I've added them to smoothies, and I've done champagne and blackberries on more than one occasion.  Of course I've been pinning blackberry recipes. (My favorite pins are here and here.)

In the spirit of my "keep what grows on it's own" attitude in the garden, I'm doing what I can to keep the blackberries happy.  I've mulched around them, and to save my arms from all the scratches next year, I've started a fence for the blackberries to climb on.  It's not pretty, but the price ($20 thanks to some leftover fence wire) was right. 

The wire is left over from a dog kennel at my parent's house.


At the end of blackberry season, I'll pull out the old canes, and finish the fence.  There is no sense in tying them up, only to pull them out in a few weeks.

3 comments:

  1. looks great! You know, I'm so silly. I have my dog fence junked in a pile where the tree guys left it when they took it down to do their work. Why aren't i using that?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should use it!! If I did it again, I would raise it up off the ground a few inches, so I didn't have to worry about the ground or mulch being level.

      I have a short piece that we couldn't use for the fence because it was too bent (in a circle), so I'm going to wrap it around one of my larger trees and use it for morning glories next year :)

      Delete
  2. Blackberries are awesome :) I can't grow anything everything i try dies haha

    I got on instagram, but i haven't followed anyone or posted anything.

    ReplyDelete

Sooooo, the spammers have finally discovered my blog. I'm not sure if that means I've 'made it', but it does mean that I have turned on comment moderation for my older posts. Don't worry though, I get the notifications quickly, and promise to read and publish anything that doesn't include random comments or suspicious links.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...