Wednesday, October 24, 2012

garden update - fall colors

Fall is a gorgeous time of year in Chattanooga, and my house is not exception.


I'm so spoiled.  There is color everywhere, which makes me happy, because there was not a lot blooming this summer.


My garden strategy for the first year in my new-to-me house has been to let things go as natural as possible, and see what sprouted on it's own. It's been survival of the fittest, Darwin Style.

Spring was full of wonderful surprises. Daffodils (or jonquils as my grandmother calls them) irises, and even a few hyacinths and tulips dotted the garden and gave me an idea of what my great grandmother's gardens may have looked like.  Summer brought the daylillies, a few wild black-eyed susans, but not much else.  I'm not going to lie, I was pretty bummed.  As the leaves filled out, my house became more and more shaded.  Great for my power bill, but I really don't think 'deep shade' is so great for most blooming plants.

The flip side to all that shade is the show the trees are putting on.  It's absolutely gorgeous right now, especially around the pond.


Edit 10/25/12: I'm adding this post to the Fall Color Project 2012 over at Growing the Home Garden.

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful Autumn!
    Love the pond photo!
    Have a great day!
    Lea
    Lea's Menagerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got yourself such a nice seat for all those fall colors! I highly recommend thinking hostas, heucheras, and hydrangeas for your shady garden. You could have a lot of fun with them! Thanks for joining in the Fall Color Project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I *just* planted some hostas and hellbores :) I've been thinking about a hydrangea, but haven't decided which one(s)!

      Delete
  3. Very pretty :)

    I am glad I am not a Clemson jinx!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clemson UP, Paws Down! Go Tigers!! Welcome to the Clemson Family :)

      Delete
  4. It's good to give yourself a while before planning what to do with your new-to-you yard. Now you know where your shade and sun is and soon you'll be planting away. Love your autumnal colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jean! I finally do feel like I'm ready to start planting.

      Delete
  5. You may not have a lot blooming in the summer, but these beautiful trees more than make up for the lack of a sunny spot. I agree with Dave--hostas, heucheras, and hydrangeas would love your shady garden. The bench by the pond looks so inviting--what a gorgeous vista!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great strategy! I was a little too eager to get things started in my front yard and ended up planting bulb next to existing bulb - someitmes practically on top of each other. and the color combos were not pretty. Fall is definitely gorgeous at your place!

    ReplyDelete

Sooooo, the spammers have finally discovered my blog. I'm not sure if that means I've 'made it', but it does mean that I have turned on comment moderation for my older posts. Don't worry though, I get the notifications quickly, and promise to read and publish anything that doesn't include random comments or suspicious links.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...